Monday, March 8, 2010

Ch. 1

What does it mean if a meal is industrial? What's the big deal with corn anyway? Anyone ever gone into a field and picked an ear of corn and cooked it that day? If so, what did you think?

PS Feel free to add your own questions that connect to part 1 :)

31 comments:

  1. I think if a went out to pick corn i would pick a WHOLE ton.

    Also, I think people like corn or yellow cuz everything is about corn nowadays.(EX;high fructose corn syrup, corn ethanol gas,cow food,etc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have definitly picked my own corn and then eaten it before. My grandparents planted corn last year and i helped with growing. (We tried planting but the deer ate it all) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to think that corn was a very healthy vegetable. Why has this become such a common belief in America? <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. when I was reading I thought it was neat to see that corn covered more acers in the country than any other livings species, including humans. I never would have known that corn was in most of the foods we ate. I didnt know that corn had become so popular in our foods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yup thats right.
    i wonder if there is a corn museum.:3

    ReplyDelete
  7. @carley it is a healthy vegetable,but since its cheap, industries pump it full of chemicals so its even cheaper and they make more money.
    Also, its not good if you eat high quantities of any food in one day, which is the case with corn.
    Since it's so cheap, they insert it into almost any food, making our diet consist of a lot of corn and the very few products that don't contain it.

    but since the food companies don't want you to know this, they cover it up with pictures of farmers on their labels and lies about how corn doesn't affect our food nutritionally.

    One company has gone to the point that they created a hybrid corn that made seeds that could not grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mass farming. I thought that corn was healthy but it turned out we were eating it in everything. I have never picked corn but we buy it farm fresh from the market.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Corn is so popular because you can use every bit of the plant and it can be a sweatener. Corn Is mutan because of how it changed from teosinate to corn. Ther soo deffrent!!!=0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well when something is industrial it is produced by companies and altered by chemicals and stuff. The big deal with corn is that it is in EVERYTHING! Well, everything except produce. People say corn's not a vegetable, but that it's a starch. Which is it? I have never picked my own corn and eaten it, but if I did I bet it would taste really good! And fresh!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Corn is very "important" because we have it in all of our soda, burgers, and twinkies (like said in the book). I think that we use a lot of corn because there is a lot of it in America and if we have it then we HAVE to use it. Also it is a quick, easy, and cheap way to feed cattle even though is not at all good for it. Which is also how we get corn in our meats. Now i don't know about you but corn in meat really grosses me out when I think about it what about you?
    I haven't really picked corn out of a feild but my family and I go to local farmers markets and we find really good corn there! Also I have shucked corn before on Thanksgivig Day. It was really good :). To me, corn that is grown by you or from a local farmers market is MUCH better than store bought.
    I never knew how much corn we get. In a way it really makes me not want to eat anything ever again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @cookiez
    Corn is not a vegi.It is a starch with no nutritional value.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Actually that's me, Caleb(Rofl >_<)

    Also, corn DOES have nutrients you need.
    Corn contains the B-vitamin Niacin, but you cant get it by just cooking it.

    According to Wikipedia, the indigenous native-American people soaked their corn in Alkali water, therefore realeasing the vitamin.
    This process is called nixtamalization, and can also release some necessary Amino acids(lysine and tryptophan) to some extent.

    I don't know that the companies put corn through this process now, but you can see a whole list of nutritional facts at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maize
    just hold down the buttons ctrl and f on your keyboard and type in nutrition and press enter three times and scroll down and look to the left(when you're at the wiki page, duh).

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh yeah, I forgot

    Corn IS a vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The factories split the corn cernals up into sections so it can be processed into food, put in animal feed,........

    ReplyDelete
  19. If something is industrial it is something that has usually been highly processed and produced by companies that use CORN! Corn is such an easy and cheap thing to get ahold so we use it in a lot of our foods. It is used as a sweetner because it is cheaper than sugar, tastes just like sugar, and corn is easy to get it the way you want it since nowadays you can make a "perfect corn". Corn, like I said before is a cheap thing, so farmers feed it to their livestock. Corn makes them grow faster so we can eat their meat sooner. I think it is so cruel to cows to make them live in a pen the size of an ice hockey rink with 50 other cows. I mean it is still bad to make them live in a pen with 50 other cows, but making them live with their manure that is even worse. Why has a America done this to their cows????

    ReplyDelete
  20. If a meal is industrial, I think it means that it is highly processed and made in a big industry or factory. Most industrial foods are chemically made and not natural like Cheetos, whether they are baked or not. I think that America doesn't really know what real food is because we are used to packaged foods. Corn is creeping in the almost everything we eat besides fruits and vegetables. The processed foods usually contain a bunch of high fructose corn syrup as well as juices and soda. The meat gets fed corn, so we are eating the corn as well as the meat. I am pretty sure that corn is not a vegetable, just merely a starch. We could go without corn if so. Corn is taking over America! Last year I attempted to grow my own corn. It got about four feet high and then turned brown and died. So I have not actually grown my own corn! :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just looked it up and it said that corn is a starchy vegetable. A grain. Not a vegi.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Carly
    It is a vegetable, and if you read my post, you'll see that it contains other nutrients than starch

    ReplyDelete
  23. From your post it looks like the article is about maize and not corn. In the book it says maize evolved into corn as the people altered it. Also if you have to cook it a certain way then we probably don't get the vitamin anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  24. If you read wikipedia, maize is known as corn in the us.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I have never gone and picked corn and then cooked it that day, but my mom did grow up on a farm and her family grew corn.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i think if corn is industrial it is made in some sort of factory environment period. there is nothing wrong with corn but the government is a little to obsessed with it, like putting a lot of money into it to be planted. i have never gone to a field and picked an ear of corn.

    ReplyDelete
  27. It means it is processed and fed corn most of the time. Corn is a very inexpensive food that helps the growth of cows but is very bad for them. I have never picked an ear of corn straight out of the field but have wanted to before.

    ReplyDelete
  28. OMG! for all you ingnorant people, corn is a vegetable when eaten soft and fresh. it turns into a grain when it is hard, like a seed.

    Industrial meals are what make up a large portion of america's meals today. Mickey D's, Lean Gourmet, and probably even our school's lunch are all processed.

    Corn is King because, in a scientific sense, it has evolved well enough to adapt to humans needs and wants. IN a more personal sense, corn is king because it tastes nice.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Corn is basicaly a starch, like potatoes. I've never picked an ear of corn from a field, but i bet it taste better than the packaged onces at the supermarket.

    Industrial "food" is mostly a whole bunch of chemicals mixed in with starch and HFCS. You can't really call it food or a meal because it's not. It's somthing you probably wouldn't eat if you saw how it's made. If you wouldn't eat the ingredients in your food raw or keep it in your pantry, you can't really call it food.

    It's harder to tell natural food apart from processed "food". We're growing up surrounded by fake food and now, we're so use to it! Corn is taking over!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Industrial food is a crowded, overpopulated, chemical dosed place that overspeeds the growth of what growers can call anything that lives.

    The big deal with corn is the starch. It is a natural sweetener. Corn is in a lot of foods that will just plain out make you obiese. I think that if people knew what was in almost every processed foods then it would be a bigger demand and corn farmers would be pretty much be out of buisness but the government would lower the minimum wage for each bushel of corn and they would be gone. I think farmers should never have gone industrial they make less money and by making corn or even soybeans they now take responsibility for part of the obieseness in America other part is the people.

    I have never even grown my own corn and i feel like i dont have a choice to eat it after it has been weeks frozen or whatever they do. I would really want to just pick out a stalk of corn and just eat it and just eat grown veggies and fruits and I would feel better than ever and would be eating grain veggies and fruits.

    ReplyDelete