Thursday, March 18, 2010

Corn Hybrids

How do you feel about farmers using hybrid plants? Do you think companies that create GMO (genetically modified organisms) should be allowed to patent their product? How does using hybrid plants hurt the variety of plant seeds that we have available?

15 comments:

  1. Although hybrids are healthyer sometimes, they are slightly prrocessed because nature didn't make those seeds.I dont think it's a true plant if you can patent it! I mean realy, that just proves it is not an act of nature. Do you see any patents on flowers, cows, and other natrul itemms! In order to patent something you have to invent it first!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not like the idea of them using hybrid plant seeds. I do not think they should patent it because they are taking something from nature and altering it. Eventually we have nothing but hybrid plants and people won't remember what a real tomato or any other fruit or vegetable tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think they should be allowed to patent their corn. Corn is natural and should not be allowed to be patented. To get a patent, you need to invent something, which kind of proves hybrid corn isn't real corn. Using hybrid plants hurts the variety because with so many hybrid plants, the majority of them are hybrid which means less and less of the variety will be real corn! I do not like the idea of them using hybrid corn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. they made a hybrid corn that produced seeds that wouldn't grow.
    the thing is that what if it mutates or has certain side affects?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i dont think that it is right to change something natural unnatural. You patent an invention and a plant shouldnt be considered an invention. Now that we have these new modified plants natural plants wont be as used so much of a variety only modified.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't think that companies should be albe to patent their GMO corn because it really is'nt corn. All it is, is corn that is modified to be "perfect". I know that if I could choose which corn is in my food I know that I would rather have natural corn than have to eat hybird or GMO corn that isn't natural. Also if GMO is produced in labs, do we even know what kind of chemicals are in them? If we keep using GMO or hybrid corn all of the other natural corn will stop growning and stop being planted. So then all the corn we have left won't be natural.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think you should be able to alter what nature gave us and patent it. I would much rather have natural corn grown in the back yard than a GMO corn that isn't natural. I don't care even if it takes more work and doesn't yeild as much. At least I know where it's coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry about that last post. I need to proofread. That yeild was supposed to be yield. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think anyone should "mess" with plants and be able to patent it. If Earth has these certian plants and were still living then we shouldn't mess with them and ruin a whole ecosystem. Basically when we do this we are getting rid of the plant and replaceing it with something that might not help or maybe even distroy the ecoystem. I think people shouldn't take chances that are too close to call especially when the other people around you have a say so too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't think companies that create GMO shouldn't be able to patent hybrid corn. If we keep using hybrid corn then we will have no corn that is the same. Most corn would be different and you would have different types of corn in one can. Although your corn would grow much faster it wouldn't have as good of taste or fullness to it. I think farmers should try to avoid corn hybrids, because when they do they'll probably be able to stop the companies from making and selling that type of corn to them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohhh
    I think that since the company that I heard cant patent corn, it made the hybrid with seeds that dont grow so other farmers cant have the "freebie" seeds taken by the wind.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There should not be hybrid corn period! I cannot believe that the government and others in the position to change this, have done nothing. It isn't even real corn anymore. If it is patented, than that proves that it was invented scientifically. Kinda like a lab experiment. What happened to corn being all natural? With more and more hybrids, we are decreasing the variety of real corn. We need to stop with the hybrids and plant more natural corn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think that creating hybrid plants are acceptable as long as it is controlled, but in my opinion, patenting them may be going a little far. Same for the GMO corn breeds, which really should not be produced at all.
    Playing with nature's genes is disrupting the natural order, and it could unleash
    corn-related diseases! (wouldn't that be intresting... hmm...)

    ReplyDelete
  14. How can they change the molecular composition of a FOOD and still have the gut s to patent it?!But what makes me more concerned is that the patent people are actually letting them. Next thing you know, they are going to be creating corn in a test-tube instead of the field.

    ReplyDelete
  15. If they didn't have that type of corn thousands of years ago, they shouldn't have it now! Their messing with the balence of nature! Why does the govenment even let companies patent it! It's like the alien version of corn. The more and more farmers plant hybrid corn, the rarer real corn will get. Like Michael Pollan said in FOOD RULES, "If your ansestors won't recongnize it, don't eat it!"

    ReplyDelete