Think of all the domestic farm animals that you have had the opportunity to interact with. What species and what was that like? How does separation from animals change or alter our view of the meat we buy?
I have milked a cow. It was interesting because you do not really think were your milk comes from. It alters the view because you do not see the animal walking around so it bother you to eat it.
i have milked a cow and fed horses carrots. the horses were very sloppy and the cows ( you know what ) was slimmy. separation from the animals makes me feel ok about eating them.
I have milked a cow, but it felt a little weird having to do it because i'm used to it just being there and not thinking about where it came from. Separation from the animals makes me feel better because I didn't see it when it was alive and won't feel bad for having to kill it to have food.
The closest I have been to a domestic animal was a cow. I didn't get to do barely anything but touch it's head, so that really didn't change how I felt about eating them.
When we are farther away from something the quicker we are to conclude something about it. If you are 765,461 miles away from a farm you have no idea how their animals are being treated but if you are .2 miles away from a farm then you have a better understanding on how the animals are being treated. This causes us to not think more clearly about what we are buying and where it came from, when we are at the grocery store or farmers market.
I have milked a cow at the agribusiness fair thing we went to earlier in the year. Also I have fed a horse a carrot, but people don't usually eat horses. For me seperation from seeing the animal makes me not think of them as I eat it, but after reading the book I can imagine the cow milk or other cow products come from. It doesn't bug me to eat an animal though, and I am not heartless or anything, I just know that people have been eating meat for centuries. It's just the way it goes. Not seeing the animal just makes this easier because, as Katie said, I didn't grow attached to the cow, so I don't feel bad.
I have milked a cow, taken care of horses, and taken care of chickens for a week. (The chickens ended in disaster, but that's a different story.) I think seperation from animals is a good thing if you are going to eat them. (Or, in the case of horses, use them as an adhesive) It makes it so that you don't feel as bad about eating an animal that had to be killed. You don't really feel attached to an animal that comes plastic wrapped at the grocery store. I think that if all Americans knew what happened behind the scenes to the poor animal they are eating we would have a lot more vegitarians.
I went to a horse riding camp when I was eight. The horses made me feel very tiny compared to them. I got to ride them and I noticed that it was a very bumpy ride. But they were treated good and it was a fun camp. When I don't see a cow or chicken walking around I don't feel as bad about eating them. But if I would see the animal being slaughtered then separated into meat, then I would not be able to eat the meat.
I went to horse riding lessons, and it was fun for a while, until you got really sore. In horse riding, it is very difficult if you dont have stamina because you have to post, which is to move up and down with the horses trot.
I have pet cows, held baby chickens, pet pigs, and interacted with sheep. Separation from animals that are going to be slaughtered, because we should not get attached to animals that will eventually be killed. I also took horse back riding for about a year when I was little, but horses are not slaughtered. I am extremely bothered even seeing cow. It is like something in my head says, that poor little creature is going to get cruelly killed, and you cannot do anything about it. I cannot usually bring myself to eat red meat, unless I am not really thinking about it. I haven't eaten red meat in probably over two months.
I, with great honor, got kicked by a VERY ungrateful horse as I tried to ride it. A cow mooed at me as I tried to get near, and I manged to pet a sheep once only to find my hand covered in... something. All I can say is, I will probably not get attached to those animals very quickly. Also, it doesnt really bother me about eating chicken, meat, etc. I mean, ppfft. So what they're animals that have been slaughtered? Humans are on the top of the food chain! We eat whatever we want! The only difference comes when you become attached to an animal, like your dogs. Then it comes down to your moral decisions.
I have never milked a cow and don't think i ever want to. I've been around chickens and horses. I am a vegitarian. I don't eat meat because they're also living things and deserve to be respected. In India(which is where both of my parents are from) The cow is a very sacried animal. Farmers would build such a strong connetion with cows; they become family members. They never sloughter the cows. (this was in the old times. I'm not sure about now because everybody in Inia is no longer vegitarian.)
I have milked a cow. It was interesting because you do not really think were your milk comes from. It alters the view because you do not see the animal walking around so it bother you to eat it.
ReplyDeletei have milked a cow and fed horses carrots. the horses were very sloppy and the cows ( you know what ) was slimmy. separation from the animals makes me feel ok about eating them.
ReplyDeleteI have milked a cow, but it felt a little weird having to do it because i'm used to it just being there and not thinking about where it came from. Separation from the animals makes me feel better because I didn't see it when it was alive and won't feel bad for having to kill it to have food.
ReplyDeleteThe closest I have been to a domestic animal was a cow. I didn't get to do barely anything but touch it's head, so that really didn't change how I felt about eating them.
ReplyDeleteWhen we are farther away from something the quicker we are to conclude something about it. If you are 765,461 miles away from a farm you have no idea how their animals are being treated but if you are .2 miles away from a farm then you have a better understanding on how the animals are being treated. This causes us to not think more clearly about what we are buying and where it came from, when we are at the grocery store or farmers market.
I have milked a cow at the agribusiness fair thing we went to earlier in the year. Also I have fed a horse a carrot, but people don't usually eat horses. For me seperation from seeing the animal makes me not think of them as I eat it, but after reading the book I can imagine the cow milk or other cow products come from. It doesn't bug me to eat an animal though, and I am not heartless or anything, I just know that people have been eating meat for centuries. It's just the way it goes. Not seeing the animal just makes this easier because, as Katie said, I didn't grow attached to the cow, so I don't feel bad.
ReplyDeleteI have milked a cow, taken care of horses, and taken care of chickens for a week. (The chickens ended in disaster, but that's a different story.) I think seperation from animals is a good thing if you are going to eat them. (Or, in the case of horses, use them as an adhesive) It makes it so that you don't feel as bad about eating an animal that had to be killed. You don't really feel attached to an animal that comes plastic wrapped at the grocery store. I think that if all Americans knew what happened behind the scenes to the poor animal they are eating we would have a lot more vegitarians.
ReplyDeleteI have milked a cow, rode horses, pet pigs, touch sheep, raised chickens, and I still dont feel bad about food.
ReplyDeleteI went to a horse riding camp when I was eight. The horses made me feel very tiny compared to them. I got to ride them and I noticed that it was a very bumpy ride. But they were treated good and it was a fun camp. When I don't see a cow or chicken walking around I don't feel as bad about eating them. But if I would see the animal being slaughtered then separated into meat, then I would not be able to eat the meat.
ReplyDeleteI went to horse riding lessons, and it was fun for a while, until you got really sore. In horse riding, it is very difficult if you dont have stamina because you have to post, which is to move up and down with the horses trot.
ReplyDeleteI have pet cows, held baby chickens, pet pigs, and interacted with sheep. Separation from animals that are going to be slaughtered, because we should not get attached to animals that will eventually be killed. I also took horse back riding for about a year when I was little, but horses are not slaughtered. I am extremely bothered even seeing cow. It is like something in my head says, that poor little creature is going to get cruelly killed, and you cannot do anything about it. I cannot usually bring myself to eat red meat, unless I am not really thinking about it. I haven't eaten red meat in probably over two months.
ReplyDeleteI, with great honor, got kicked by a VERY ungrateful horse as I tried to ride it. A cow mooed at me as I tried to get near, and I manged to pet a sheep once only to find my hand covered in... something. All I can say is, I will probably not get attached to those animals very quickly. Also, it doesnt really bother me about eating chicken, meat, etc.
ReplyDeleteI mean, ppfft. So what they're animals that have been slaughtered? Humans are on the top of the food chain! We eat whatever we want!
The only difference comes when you become attached to an animal, like your dogs. Then it comes down to your moral decisions.
i have horses i have pet sheep and pigs i have held chicks. It is easier to not think about it if you dont interact with it at all.
ReplyDeleteI have never milked a cow and don't think i ever want to. I've been around chickens and horses. I am a vegitarian. I don't eat meat because they're also living things and deserve to be respected. In India(which is where both of my parents are from) The cow is a very sacried animal. Farmers would build such a strong connetion with cows; they become family members. They never sloughter the cows. (this was in the old times. I'm not sure about now because everybody in Inia is no longer vegitarian.)
ReplyDeleteI rode a horse once and I don't intend on eating horse so it didn't change my views eating meat.
ReplyDelete