I have a decent amount of experience as a gatherer I guess. I grew up out in the rural part of Harrisburg and every summer I was forced to help my Dad. He liked to make jelly and that meant picking lots of wild strawberries that grew in the field near our house. They were about the size of a marble. So far, I've picked lots of corn (and yes it does make a squeaking sound when you shuck it and there are worms), beans, squash, cucumbers, watermelons,blackberries, figs, pumpkins...you get the idea :) I'm not much of a hunter. One time I caught and ate a fish up in Maine and that's about it.
I have harvested tomatoes, basil, plums, cherries, green beans, spinach, squash, cucmbers, strawberries, and blueberries before. If by harvesting you ment we grew it in our garden. My dad loves plants. Most peole say "squirrel" when they get off topic, my dad says "plant". Our backyard is full of flowers, trees, and others, but he loves to garden and grow his own food.
This one time we went to our friend at church's house and we had what he called "Bambii Burgers". Earlier that week he had shot down a deer. . . He says that preparing the deer is a family event, even little Laura helps out (she's about 4 or 5).
I tried to fish once or twice but caught nothing. Never went hunting. Never killed a mammal. I pick lettuce, and other vegetables though.
Storytime! In Vietnam, the country people build little cage traps to trap... rats! To eat! And don't tell them to kill the rats humanely too. They first DROWN the rats, then, if there is any still alive, they BASH the rat's head on the street curb to kill it. (thats right, they do it on the street) Then they cut off the rats head with a simple knife and clean out their blood and guts. (they're not even wearing gloves!) I've seen it. It ain't pretty.
When my grandma lived in Pennsylvania, she had a HUGE garden and grew everything imaginable. Peas, squash, tomatoes, pumpkins, corn, okra, strawberries, lettuce... etc. I always went out with her and helped harvest the fruits and vegis. Then later that day we would prepare to food and eat it. I have tried to fish, but no luck there. I don't think that I could have killed the fish anyways. I have never killed a mammal or anything that crawls and that kinda stuff.
I have a garden with my family and we eat the fruits and vegies. I've tried fishing and have caught a fish but then screamed until my throat hurt and ran when the fish came out of the water. If you were wondering I was eleven :). Lets just say I think I will NEVER fish again. :)
I have fished and harvested vegies and fruits in my garden at home. The fishing was really weird I will NEVER touch or fish again. They REALLY creep me out :).
I have gone fishing but that is the limit of my hunting skills. As for gathering, I could go on for a while with a list of different things. My family also has a garden in the summer.
I have never gone hunting, but every year my family grows a small vegetable garden in our back yard. We grow tomatoes, squash, cucumber, mint leaves, and radishes. We also have a pear and peach trees in our backyard, so I have had expirence gathering my own food.
I have a decent amount of experience as a gatherer I guess. I grew up out in the rural part of Harrisburg and every summer I was forced to help my Dad. He liked to make jelly and that meant picking lots of wild strawberries that grew in the field near our house. They were about the size of a marble. So far, I've picked lots of corn (and yes it does make a squeaking sound when you shuck it and there are worms), beans, squash, cucumbers, watermelons,blackberries, figs, pumpkins...you get the idea :) I'm not much of a hunter. One time I caught and ate a fish up in Maine and that's about it.
ReplyDeleteI have never gone out and harvested food and then ate it. But when I was little I use to go and pick pumpkins.
ReplyDeleteMy mom lived on a farm though, so she raised cows. Her family had a big strawberry farm, so she picked a lot of those.
I would like to go and pick something from a farm though.
I have harvested tomatoes, basil, plums, cherries, green beans, spinach, squash, cucmbers, strawberries, and blueberries before. If by harvesting you ment we grew it in our garden. My dad loves plants. Most peole say "squirrel" when they get off topic, my dad says "plant". Our backyard is full of flowers, trees, and others, but he loves to garden and grow his own food.
ReplyDeleteThis one time we went to our friend at church's house and we had what he called "Bambii Burgers". Earlier that week he had shot down a deer. . . He says that preparing the deer is a family event, even little Laura helps out (she's about 4 or 5).
I tried to fish once or twice but caught nothing. Never went hunting. Never killed a mammal. I pick lettuce, and other vegetables though.
ReplyDeleteStorytime! In Vietnam, the country people build little cage traps to trap... rats! To eat! And don't tell them to kill the rats humanely too. They first DROWN the rats, then, if there is any still alive, they BASH the rat's head on the street curb to kill it. (thats right, they do it on the street) Then they cut off the rats head with a simple knife and clean out their blood and guts. (they're not even wearing gloves!) I've seen it. It ain't pretty.
I have fished and caught a bass but that was it. I have also picked blueberries, strawberries.
ReplyDeleteWhen my grandma lived in Pennsylvania, she had a HUGE garden and grew everything imaginable. Peas, squash, tomatoes, pumpkins, corn, okra, strawberries, lettuce... etc. I always went out with her and helped harvest the fruits and vegis. Then later that day we would prepare to food and eat it. I have tried to fish, but no luck there. I don't think that I could have killed the fish anyways. I have never killed a mammal or anything that crawls and that kinda stuff.
ReplyDeleteI have a garden with my family and we eat the fruits and vegies. I've tried fishing and have caught a fish but then screamed until my throat hurt and ran when the fish came out of the water. If you were wondering I was eleven :). Lets just say I think I will NEVER fish again. :)
ReplyDeleteI have fished and harvested vegies and fruits in my garden at home. The fishing was really weird I will NEVER touch or fish again. They REALLY creep me out :).
ReplyDeleteI have gone fishing but that is the limit of my hunting skills. As for gathering, I could go on for a while with a list of different things. My family also has a garden in the summer.
ReplyDeleteI went fishing and caught a bunch of fish, but I didn't eat them, I threw their dead bodies back into the lake.
ReplyDeleteI have never gone hunting, but every year my family grows a small vegetable garden in our back yard. We grow tomatoes, squash, cucumber, mint leaves, and radishes. We also have a pear and peach trees in our backyard, so I have had expirence gathering my own food.
ReplyDelete