Thursday, April 1, 2010

Polyface Farm

What did you find most interesting about Polyface Farm?(Ch. 12) Did you disagree with any of the methods? Why is this type of farming so hard to find? Why is it more labor intensive for the farmer? Is it worth it?

11 comments:

  1. What I find the most interesting about polyface farm is that, they let to see the costumers see them slaughter the chicken. They are able to stay in business without doing what any of the other farmers are doing with their animals. I didn't disagree with anything if I knew more about the subject I could probably find something to disagree with but all I know is that polyface is helping the consumers, the animals, and the Earth. I think that it is worth it, the farmers are doing what they can to maybe start more farmers to farming like them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the most interesting thing about Polyface farm was how organized and entwined the animals and the evironment were, and how they helped each other while producing both their own needs and the farmer's needs. For me, there is little to disagree on.

    This style of farming may be the most beneficial to the environment and the animals, but most of the human population hardly care about those things when it comes to money. Agribuisnesses like it cheap, not to the animals, but to them. Same goes for the farmer, if he or she would rather try to keep the balance, it would require more labor to not use machines or chemicals.

    I think that only the farmer or agribuisness can answer whether it is worth it or not, becauae I think it is more of their moral decisions if they would want money over nature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think what was most interesting was the cycle of how everything worked together. The cows, chickens, the forest, and the farmers worked together to keep the farm the way it is. I don't disagree on any of their methods, it sounded pretty nice to me.

    The type of farming that Polyface has is hard to find because it is more expensve than the industrial, more work to keep the cycle going, it takes up space, and not many people would be willing to do the physical labor.

    It is more labor intensive because you have to get up from your bed, go straight to work, and then work till practically sunset. They don't take the easy way out by using machinery. I think that it is totally worth it for them because they had a lot of hard work put into it, but when a chicken or eggs is bought it'll cost more than store food. So they get their payday and preserve nature.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it was how all the things worked together. I did not disagree with anything. It is hard to find because all farming has turned to factory farming. It is hard labor because you have to get up at dawn, go straight to work, and work until sunset. I think it is worth it because you get farm fresh food and it taste better, but then if you have a bad crop you do not get a ton of money for that crop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The thing I found most interesting is how the whole farm is like a big cycle. All the animals help take care of the farm and as a reward, they get the food the plants give it. If you take one thing out of the cycle, the whole thing falls apart.
    I disagree with the part of slaughtering the animals. Animals still deserve to live, although this is probably the best way to slaughter an animal.
    This type of farming is so hard to find because it takes so much work to keep everything mantained. In the end, it was probably worth all the hard work. Production is probably slower than factory farms, and all the food is seasonal, which most people aren't used to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the cycle of farming interesting on thew Polyface farm. The methods seemed to help the land. This type of farming takes a lot of money (land and labor costs)and time this why it isn't as common a method. It is more labor intensive because the cattle and chickens have to be moved regularly for it to work. The methods result in a better health of the animals and conditiuions the soil at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found that the cycle between the animals is the most interesting. The methods help the land and the animals are eating what they are supposed to.

    This type of farming is hard to find because it costs more to raise the animals. It is also more time consuming because you have to wait till the chicken is full grown, rather than putting drugs in it and it being raised faster.

    This type of farming is worth your money because it is much healthier meat and produce. And you also know that the animals are treated better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I found the most interesting about Polyface farm was that everything was linked together. Like, everything is connected so if one thing happens to one animal, something happens to a different animal. I thought it was neat how it all worked out that way. The only thing that I did not agree with was how the farmers grabbed the chickens at their feet and shoved them into cages. It seemed kinda cruel. Also how they killed the chickens. I know it is humane but I hope that someday someone will find a way to kill animals that does not cause them any pain. This type of farming is so hard to find because factory farming is easier than this kind of farming, and it does not require as much work as this. It is all machines. But in Polyface, workers have to do things by hand, and it is a lot harder to do. Polyface farming is more labor intensive because workers have to do a lot of things by hand. And it requires a lot of moving around and hard work. I definitely think that it is worth it because with this style of farming, everything is sooooo healthy, so people wouldn't have to worry whether the food we eat is going to kill them or not!!!!!!!!!1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the methods Polyface farm used. I agreed with everything the farmer said about how we really should be farming. I think our system for raising cattle and chickens is revolting. It makes me not want to eat the hamburgers my Grandaddy is making right now just by thinking about all the manure and other stuff the cattle grew up in. It smells so good...

    ReplyDelete
  11. About my last comment. When I said it smells so good, I ment the burgers, not the manure!!!

    ReplyDelete